We often make South African Biltong “USA style” in our dehydrator at home. I say “USA style” because it is our own DIY version of biltong. The taste is similar, but the texture is definitely a little closer to American jerky.
The spices for biltong can be hard to find here in the US and pricey. We often make the spice ourselves at home for this reason.
I decided to post our biltong spice recipe incase you also find yourself wondering where you can get biltong spice. You can make it yourself! 🙂
We use this recipe for so many things. Not just biltong. It can be used to season steaks, hamburgers, we have never tried chicken, but that may be an option too. Give it a go if you feel like experimenting.
- ¼ c (32 g) coriander whole seed
- ⅛ c (16 g) course ground pepper (fresh ground is best)
- ⅛ c (16 g) turbinado sugar (or equivalent)
- ⅛ c (16 g) course sea salt (Celtic Sea Salt is good)
- Toast coriander in a dry skillet till aromatic.
- Lightly crush coriander in a mortar and pestle once cooled.
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and stir together to incorporate.
- Store in an airtight container till needed.
That’s it. Easy peasy.
The best thing about this recipe is it does not have the awful additives most of the packaged biltong spices have, like sodium nitrate or msg. All natural! Enjoy!